We retreat and refresh and then return.
Return to the wake up call at 1:00a.m. - I catch pieces of the conversation fearing the worst- however, it is a disabled car far from home followed by a $500 repair - neither the worst nor the best.
Return to the child who can calculate math sums and products quickly and accurately who is now failing math. Those sneaky decimals are just so tricky!!
Gratitude that a textbook is just a few clicks and dollars away and then in the mail so that a spare can be kept at home for the child whose backpack is unbearably heavy.
Return to work and long meetings and long days and weeks.
Return to adjustments to balance the demands of work and school and family togetherness.
Return to decisions and debts and climbing insecurity.
Return to hugs and kisses and laughs and appreciation of creativity.
Life has a way of distracting us even as concern envelopes us for the pain and suffering that occurs in this dark world while remembering that darkness is simply the absence of light, and we must be light. We look forward to a promise of rest just a few weeks out, a promise of reunion and celebration just a few days away, and a possible return, even if brief, of our oldest child to the nest.
No comments:
Post a Comment
I welcome comments, but because I am a high school teacher, I do check them before they are posted.